BA DegreeFields of Expertise:
ESL/EFL , ESP Business English Teacher Salary:
The Center for Business English (CBE) at the Yemen College of Middle Eastern Studies (YCMES) is hiring ESP/Business English Teachers
Summary of Responsibilities
• Teach English courses following established YCMES guidelines and using acceptable communicative language teaching strategies and methodologies. Maintain a classroom environment that is conducive to optimal learning.
• Monitor, assess, and evaluate student work and progress.
• Participate in teacher training workshops and other developmental activities designed to enhance the quality of teaching and participate in the delivery of such training.
• Prepare reports and lessons plans, supplemental materials and activities, and quizzes as required. Maintains an up-to-date record of lesson plans, student attendance and grade records, according to YCMES procedures.
• Contribute to curriculum and test development activities.
• Assist in miscellaneous administrative duties related to the effective operation of a language institute.
• As a native speaker serve as a resource on the English language and culture to trainees and staff members who are not familiar with native-English culture.
Qualifications and desirable skills
• MA in EFL, Education, or related field, or MBA & TEFL certification, or BA with TEFL certification and significant experience
• 3 years full-time EFL/ESP teaching experience
• Flexibility to work in a diverse and multicultural work environment
• Organizational and multi-tasking skills
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs and computer usage
• Only native English speakers will be considered for this position
• Starting Salary $1500 a month.
• Competitive package that includes monthly tax-free salary (commensurate with qualifications and experience)
• Furnished housing accommodation with main utilities i.e. electricity, water & gas paid for by YCMES. En-suite bedrooms are provided and there is a communal kitchen, which is shared with the other native English speakers. The accommodation is provided in the heart of the old city.
• Round-trip plane ticket to Yemen.
• All Visas are issued, in Sana’a, and paid for by YCMES (Entry, Residency and Exit Visas).
• Free Arabic language courses.
• Cultural activities and free field trips to historical sites in Yemen.
• Use of other YCMES services i.e. 24/7 Wireless Internet Service, 24 hour security in the housing facilities, in-house gym and laundry.
While located on the Arabian Peninsula, Yemen is culturally, geographically, and economically distinct from the Gulf countries. Yemen is rich in tradition and history, increasingly rare in modern Arabia. The old city of Sana’a, the capital, famed for its ‘gingerbread’ tower houses, is one of the oldest continuously inhabited cities in the world and a UNESCO World Heritage Site. At an altitude of 2,300 meters it is also one of the highest capitals in the world and experiences a mild weather and two rainy seasons a year, while the rest of the peninsula is sweltering. Yemen boasts other World Heritage sites including the Socotra Archipelago. Unlike its northern and eastern neighbors, Yemen is not a petrol state and has not experienced a massive influx of foreigner workers and large scale development. Thus the cost of living is extremely cheap, the cheapest from all the other Arab countries, in fact. On average, your living costs would be between $200-$250 a month.
For over two decades, the Yemen College of Middle Eastern Studies has played a leading role in educating foreigners in Yemen. Originally founded in 1989 as the Yemen Language Center, YLC was the first institution in Yemen devoted exclusively to teaching Arabic as a foreign language. In 2006, the YLC evolved into the Yemen College of Middle Eastern Studies (YCMES), a private, non-profit educational institution accredited by the Ministry of Higher Education and Scientific Research.
The YCMES is the first college of its kind in the Middle East. YCMES is designed to the highest academic standards. Visiting professors from throughout the world teach an array of courses in contemporary Middle Eastern studies complementing the wide array of Arabic and English language courses also offered by the YCMES.
Building on its reputation and experience in the area of language instruction, and in response to the increased demand in the business world for excellence in English, the Yemen College of Middle Eastern Studies has established the Center for Business English (CBE) as part of the Program in English Language (PEL). The Center is open to corporate employees and business executives who wish to improve their business language and professional skills in a commercial context in the shortest possible time.